develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from September 2020

Re: "ICU - International Components for Unicode"

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
Re: "ICU - International Components for Unicode"
Message ID:
96BDF29E-3995-4415-B601-FFB4E108BCED@dijkmat.nl
> On 25 Sep 2020, at 04:25, Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rakudo does not use ICU
>
> It used to though.
>
> Rakudo used to run on Parrot.
> Parrot used ICU for its Unicode features.

Ah, the days.

I do remember that in the Parrot days, any non-ASCII character in any string, would have a significant negative effect on grammar parsing.  This was usually not that visible when trying to run a script, but the time needed to compile the core setting (which already took a few minutes then) rose (probably exponentially) to: well, I don't know.  The last time I tried to see if it would actually complete, I killed the compilation process after an hour.

People complain about compilation taking long these days, and they're right: it should be better.  But still, compared to the Parrot days...  it's orders of magnitude better now.

Liz