develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from January 2020

Re: stolen uint's

From:
Trey Harris
Date:
Re: stolen uint's
Message ID:
CALKJ+EsAi0A3_XvnEW+FdpLrtefCZNbhHVcgvS6Jbe93AWZPAw@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 20:20 ToddAndMargo via perl6-users <
perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:

> On 2020-01-29 10:28, Trey Harris wrote:
> > B is not a subset of A. That is the relationship of uint and int—two
> > distinct types whose values happen to overlap in a way that describes a
> > subset. Perl isn’t Prolog; a logical relationship between two types is
> > not a first-class entity of the language.
> >

> >     I know, I am slicing the baloney thin here, but uint is
> >     not a static C variable. It can change into an int with
> >     the position of the moon.
> >

> > I’m STILL waiting for you to show me ONE example of a `uint` turning
> > into `int`. Not `Int`, via auto-boxing, `int`, via who-knows-what.
> > Either do that, or stop making the assertion it does that; if you don’t
> > show a reproducible example, I am going to conclude you are lying if you
> > persist.
>
> $ p6 'my uint8 $u; say $u.^name;'
> Int

I’m done. I haven’t killfiled anyone in over twenty years. Congratulations,
you’re the first this century.