develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from January 2020

Re: stolen uint's

From:
Trey Harris
Date:
Re: stolen uint's
Message ID:
CALKJ+Etf=NJrZj2DwHc7+nmfQu1j5w3+CJsL4V9nDk23we5nmQ@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 17:52 ToddAndMargo via perl6-users <
perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:

> On 2020-01-29 14:20, Trey Harris wrote:
> > I don’t care about IpData or ValueData—those are completely unremarkable
> > fields. Showing me more code relating to them—or any other fields
> > besides cData—isn’t helpful to understanding how the 3-bytes UTF + null
> > cData field works.
>
> hi Trey,
>
> I think what I am missing is your "3-bytes UTF + null" question.
>
> It is only four bytes long when addressed as a REG_DWORD
> (32 bit unsigned integer).  There is no nul at the end.
>
> The bounds are 0x0..0xFFFF_FFFF.  No boxing allowed
>
> $cbData = 4;
>

> If your are addressing is as a REG_SZ (registry string),
> it can be as many bytes as you want when.  You just have
> to terminate it with a 0x0000
>
> $cbData = $lpData.elems * 2;  # words are two bytes long
>
> Does that help?

Could you show the API definition again, please? The copy I see says that
field is a `DWORD cbData`. I don’t see the “as many bytes as you want when.
You just have to terminate it with a 0x0000” part of the definition. Could
you highlight it?