develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from January 2020

Re: stolen uint's

From:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
Date:
Re: stolen uint's
Message ID:
db267f05-7c90-0504-0ab5-8aa8eb7656a8@zoho.com
On 2020-01-29 14:20, Trey Harris wrote:
> I don’t care about IpData or ValueData—those are completely unremarkable
> fields. Showing me more code relating to them—or any other fields
> besides cData—isn’t helpful to understanding how the 3-bytes UTF + null
> cData field works.

hi Trey,

I think what I am missing is your "3-bytes UTF + null" question.

It is only four bytes long when addressed as a REG_DWORD
(32 bit unsigned integer).  There is no nul at the end.

The bounds are 0x0..0xFFFF_FFFF.  No boxing allowed

$cbData = 4;

If your are addressing is as a REG_SZ (registry string),
it can be as many bytes as you want when.  You just have
to terminate it with a 0x0000

$cbData = $lpData.elems * 2;  # words are two bytes long

Does that help?