develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from January 2020

Re: stolen uint's

From:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
Date:
Re: stolen uint's
Message ID:
6a0c5bce-49af-7869-1e89-5bf2c05d5318@zoho.com
On 2020-01-29 09:19, Trey Harris wrote:

> The first line of https://docs.raku.org/type/UInt is:
>  > The `|Int`| is defined as a subset of `|Int|:`
>
> How does that not “reflect that UInt is not a unique [type, I assume you
> meant], but a subset of Int”?

You are correct.  Mumble, mumble.

>     2) that uint is not a native type, but a subset of int.
>

> But `uint` is not a subset of `int`; they’re both native types so can’t
> be subtypes as the constraints would have to hook to the metamodel,
> which uint and int lack because they’re unboxed. (A “sticker on the
> “box” is where you write the constraints, if you want to think of it
> that way.)

So long as it is treated as a subset of int, it is a subset.
I know, I am slicing the baloney thin here, but uint is
not a static C variable. It can change into an int with
the position of the moon.

If you have access to the C code, what is its definition?

>     3) that uint and int are not "static" (in the C sense)
>          variables and can be changed to other things with
>          coercion and boxing.  A discussion on when and how
>          that is done would be appreciated.

> The indexing of Auto-boxing and linking to it where appropriate should
> solve this. Please open a doc issue stating exactly this (and not a
> request for 1 and 2, which are not valid).

Would you mind doing it?  My prose does not get past
the first level.