develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from December 2019

Fwd: Raku, docs, help [was: Re: vulgar?]

From:
Tom Browder
Date:
December 7, 2019 11:02
Fwd: Raku, docs, help [was: Re: vulgar?]
Message ID:
CAFMGiz-E5563uV2hKQ89igz-6jLg55vUcpORgGt0tSRGGUXMUA@mail.gmail.com
Forgot to reply to all.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 04:58
Subject: Raku, docs, help [was: Re: vulgar?]
To: ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo@zoho.com>

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 23:23 ToddAndMargo via perl6-users <
perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:

> On 2019-12-06 18:34, Tom Browder wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 17:31 ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
> > <perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 2019-12-06 04:19, Tom Browder wrote:

Todd, I was a bit harsh in my last reply, but I do see a huge difference
between a bug report and a PR. In the PR, you have to show exactly what the
wording should be in its entire context, while in the bug report your
suggestions are less in context. To me, that automatically increases the
friction in the  conversation.

Some other points about help via comms other than email that are valuable
to me:

1. when using IRC, it is easy to put chunks of real code into a Github
gist. That way everyone can see it and discuss it by line number or other
reference

2. on the #raku channels, there is a built-in REPL so all can see your code
chunks in action

Finally, I really don't have any more good arguments about your discontent
with the docs, but I leave you with these words about my experience here:

Any help you can contribute to the docs will usually be greatly
appreciated, but you are better off to start in small bits, correcting
typos, improving grammar, etc.
And I agree with you that much of the descriptions are in "IEEE-ese." To
help with that I have added several "cookbook" examples in such areas, as
much to help me as to help others. Given the way I've seen you operate I
think that adding better examples from your "keepers" would be very useful.

Merry Christmas!

-Tom

P.S. One more thing about Perl vs. Raku docs: I believe over the years
there has been much money applied to the Perl infrastructure by commercial
users of Perl, especially in the early days of the Internet. On the other
hand, I believe Raku has had comparatively little commercial support and
has had to rely on those unpaid people who love the language and its
community and who freely donate their time to its improvement. It can only
get better, but maybe not with quite as steep a growth curve as Perl has
had.