develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from September 2019

Re: Rakudo Star update?!

From:
William Michels via perl6-users
Date:
Re: Rakudo Star update?!
Message ID:
CAA99HCzsGbVmcoT30c=+MufuJvuvSk0RKQ25VosrnVZ_HFcwGQ@mail.gmail.com
Hi Caitlin!

There was a thread earlier in this month, with Patrick, Vadim, and
Todd all participating:
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl6.users/2019/09/msg6979.html

You can look at the official Rakudo Star releases here:
https://rakudo.org/files/star

In addition, Tom Browder seems to have set up his own "config-scripts"
Github repo:
https://github.com/tbrowder/config-scripts/tree/master/install-rakudo
https://github.com/tbrowder/config-scripts/tree/master/install-rakudo-star

The short answer is that there's supposed to be a Rakudo (not Rakudo
Star) release this sometime this month (Sept. 2019). which I presume
we are still awaiting. I'm guessing the next Rakudo Star release will
be built around the 2019.09 Rakudo compiler release:
https://github.com/rakudo/rakudo/releases

I'm sure you know Rakudo Star is just the Rakudo compiler bundled with
many popular Perl 6 modules. Therefore, theoretically you **should**
be able to download the latest Rakudo compiler (2019.07.1, above), and
create a "Rakudo-Star" installation by simply dragging over previously
installed modules into your latest compiler folder. Updating/upgrading
with zef **should** give you the absolutely latest Rakudo Star
installation possible.

[I'm guessing previously installed modules live in some variation of a
"/home/username/.rakudobrew/moar-master/install/share/perl6/site/sources/"
or "/Users/username/rakudo/rakudo-2019.07.1/install/share/perl6/site/sources/"
directory].

Just in case the plan in the above two paragraphs is an absolutely
terrible idea, I've copied the zef Perl 6 Module Manager author on
this email (Nick Logan), to castigate and correct me--should that be necessary.

Hope this helps, Bill.