develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from August 2019

Re: perl6's new name?

From:
David Christensen
Date:
Re: perl6's new name?
Message ID:
a0cf376d-9394-dde9-e924-e78797b1951e@holgerdanske.com
On 8/11/19 11:14 PM, Eliza wrote:
> Hello perl6 world,
>
> I saw the perl6 github issue, just was confused will perl6 change its name?

<snip>

> https://github.com/perl6/problem-solving/issues/81

I don't know whether to take this is troll bait or a real issue.  Lots
of people seem to be responding; so in case the issue is real, I will
make two points against changing the name of Perl 6

 From an X.Y major-minor version numbering system standpoint, X is
incremented whenever the product changes significantly.  In the context
of computer programming languages, source code incompatibility is an
obvious criteria for changing X.  If source code is compatible after a
change, then Y should be changed.  Perl 6 is significantly different
from Perl 5, and, in general, Perl 6 programs are incompatible with the
Perl 5 compiler/ interpreter and vice-versa.  Therefore, the "6" was
properly applied and "Perl 6" is correct.

 From a practical standpoint, there is too much water under the bridge.
Name changes need to be done up front (Ruby was done properly in this
regard).

David