develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from August 2019

Re: perl6's new name?

From:
Joseph Brenner
Date:
Re: perl6's new name?
Message ID:
CAFfgvXUz5KOOWV7gAc=8AJQsaKURKqd+Lye+81ukMgRErd=G-A@mail.gmail.com
> If Perl had worked harder to stay in the public eye in a good way (rather
than being viewed as dieing), there wouldn't have been a perceived
need for Python.

As I remember it, there was a concerted attack on perl with Python
being held up as the-anti-perl.  There wasn't (yet) any question of
perl dieing.

My take-- which I owe a lot to Steve Yegge's peculiar writings on the
subject-- is that the computer science intelligensia were actively
offended by that upstart outsider Larry Wall was showing you could do
things differently and still come up with something useful.