develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from August 2019

Re: perl6's new name?

From:
Richard Hainsworth
Date:
Re: perl6's new name?
Message ID:
822d38f1-6be9-12e0-9cf0-6519b448b266@gmail.com
<snip>

> The decision on perl 5 vs perl 6 naming is more revolutionary but it
> IS hurting
> Perl.  I love Perl but it has an image problem.
True. Would a name change now have much effect?
> If Perl didn't have an image problem,
> Python never would have become so popular.
Mmmm. ???? That is a very strong assertion and diminishes Python and its
developers. It's the sort of statement that can't easily be tested. More
a belief.
>   Perl used to be THE scripting
> language.
True. And C was THE programming language. Life moves on. And in circles.
Fashions come and go, and what was fashionable can again be so.
>   It doesn't matter that it is still around and still continuing to be
> developed.
> What matters is people's PERCEPTIONS of Perl (dead, dieing,
> irrelevant, etc).
>
> Too little was done for too long about Perl's image.  It may be too
> late to bring it
> back into the forefront as it used to be.

Being excited about a language and using it for cool things - and
broadcasting to the world that its cool will do more to change
perceptions that Perl is cool, than a name change to Camilea.

As you said: Perceptions are the most important thing.