develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from February 2019

Re: filever.exe sub?

From:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
Date:
February 2, 2019 00:42
Re: filever.exe sub?
Message ID:
74963541-a435-3323-18d2-2ea4f170f74d@zoho.com
On 2/1/19 10:02 AM, Timo Paulssen wrote:
> On 01/02/2019 01:33, Bruce Gray wrote:
>> To call those Windows APIs in Perl 6, you would use NativeCall.
>>

> Don't forget that Todd wanted to use this on non-windows with not-wine.
> NativeCall on linux won't run windows code all by itself.
>
> That said, wine is still a good source for info on how windows things
> work internally (though of course they only reverse-engineered how
> windows things work, so there's often still differences in the exact
> behaviour).
>
> Here's their implementation of the version info code:
>
> https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/blob/908903b7f105c62061d62959fd8d8c866095dcdc:/dlls/version/info.c
>
> and the corresponding header file (i think?)
>
> https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/blob/c84b7d33dd18651057a80f609e11f809cc7f4bd0:/include/winver.h
>

> Normally I'd just say "good luck and have fun!", but that whole file is
> very big and doesn't seem very self-explanatory at all.
>
> I don't have time right now to go through it, but if you want to give
> understanding it a try, here's a link to wine's "cross-referenced source
> browser" thingie where most keywords are clickable so you can directly
> find other header files, or where and how symbols/types that are used in
> the code are defined:
>
> https://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/version/version.c
>
> Sorry for not giving a super simple solution. Perhaps there's something
> on the net for "PE metadata parser" or "PE file parser" or whatever.
>
> Hope that gets you closer to your goal!
>    - Timo

I am hopeless when it comes to C.

I am still trying to figure out where the information is
located in the exe

--
Computers are like air conditioners.