develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from January 2019

Re: filever.exe sub?

From:
ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
Date:
Re: filever.exe sub?
Message ID:
ea79045f-824d-8a8f-b0cc-b2d7230b19b0@zoho.com
On 1/29/19 9:53 PM, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Windows provides a utility called filever.exe which will
> tell you the revision of and exe file.  (You can also see this
> through the gui with properties).
>
> Currently I run filever.exe through Wine.  It is cumbersome,
> especially since Wine floods STDERR.  I work around it.
>
> Do we have a module for the file's version?  If so, does
> it run in Linux?
>
> If not, does anyone know where the version information is
> stored in and .exe file so I can write one myself?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Well, I learned it is called "metadata".  And that
Perl 5 has a module for it, but I can not figure out
from where they are reading the metadata:

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/ALEXEYT/Win32-File-Ver-0.02/Ver.pm