develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from January 2019

Re: POD: linking to a module

From:
Vadim Belman
Date:
Re: POD: linking to a module
Message ID:
7F35FFEE-1AB9-40D6-BE9A-3043C10DFC5F@lflat.org

> Not to mention different module versions, on top of what you wrote.
>
> Ok, I would think about it. One thing comes to my mind: in Synopsis 26 (https://design.perl6.org/S26.html <https://design.perl6.org/S26.html>) there is a mention of =config directive. It can be used to define where the links must point to. Something like:
>
> =config github:/user/module/tree/master/docs
>
> I'm not sure =config is implemented right now, my money is on NYI. And still there's the problem that pod6 or pod-embedded-in-Perl6 is not rendered anywhere, I think, not even in modules.perl6.org <http://modules.perl6.org/>. Dumping someone in a page full of Pod6 source code is LTA. I mean, you can as well create a link to actual, rendered documents that you have generated somewhere.

I know it is not implemented, but it might be at some point. So, perhaps it makes sense to think out a possible solution?

As to the format issue – I for myself solved it for now by generating both .md and .html and writing a script which patches source PODs to point links at the right version tag on github. Perhaps, this will be the best approach for a couple of years to come.

Best regards,
Vadim Belman