develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from January 2019

Re: POD: linking to a module

From:
Vadim Belman
Date:
Re: POD: linking to a module
Message ID:
4B182086-47A2-4A2A-844E-E24F22B792CB@lflat.org
Not to mention different module versions, on top of what you wrote.

Ok, I would think about it. One thing comes to my mind: in Synopsis 26 (https://design.perl6.org/S26.html) there is a mention of =config directive. It can be used to define where the links must point to. Something like:

=config github:/user/module/tree/master/docs

> On Jan 12, 2019, at 2:47 AM, JJ Merelo <jjmerelo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Actually, we had that functionality, but it was recently eliminated by Richard Hainsworth since, as a matter of fact, there are no specs on what to actually do with them. And it was eliminated for several reasons, one of which is that MetaCPAN does not display Pod6, but the main reason is that there's no canonical place for module documentation. Some of them are in docs.perl6.org <http://docs.perl6.org/> (core modules), some of them in github, some in gitlab...
>
> Any suggestion is welcome, meanwhile.
>
> El sáb., 12 ene. 2019 a las 2:22, Vadim Belman (<vrurg@lflat.org <mailto:vrurg@lflat.org>>) escribió:
> Hello,
>
> How do I properly write a link to a module in a POD documentation? Actually, the question is even more complex as it might be both a module and a .pod.
>
> The documentation (https://docs.perl6.org/language/pod <https://docs.perl6.org/language/pod>) isn't clear on this subject. When it comes to `L<>` docs are mostly focused on URL or intra-page links. Well, of course I can pre-generate .md and link to a github page. But hoping that at some point the modules site will gain functionality similar to metacpan and will be able to display embedded PODs as pages I'd like to keep this in mind and do things correctly from the start. Besides, by linking to github I would also have to always keep in mind updating links to have them pointing at the correct module version which might be problematic with a big number of links.
>
> BTW, neither I found a way to generate different content for different output formats.
>
> Best regards,
> Vadim Belman
>

> --
> JJ