develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from October 2018

Re: eof ?

From:
Brad Gilbert
Date:
October 9, 2018 13:41
Re: eof ?
Message ID:
CAD2L-T3Y+Ek6weVFppbfG5Sp0LJ3r60R_h98g7FR9zDj93K4gg@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 8:31 AM Curt Tilmes <curt@tilmes.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 9:27 AM Laurent Rosenfeld via perl6-users <perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:
>>
>> This:
>> my $f = $fh.lines;
>> will slurp all the lines into $f (but you can still access the individual items with something like $f[4]).
>

> Is that true?  I supposed that it would hold the Seq as a scalar (un-iterated) Seq.

No it isn't true.
It stores the Seq in $f.

The following doesn't print anything.

    my $f = 'example.txt'.IO.lines.map(*.say); Nil

(Note that I added `Nil` so that if someone tried this in the REPL, it
doesn't try to `say` what's in `$f`.)

What it does do is make the Seq marked as an item, so this only runs
one loop, and doesn't run the `.map` code.

    for $f { Nil }

But both of these will:

    for @$f { Nil }
    for $f<> { Nil }