develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from September 2018

Installing Perl6 on shared server

From:
Richard Hainsworth
Date:
September 26, 2018 03:21
Subject:
Installing Perl6 on shared server
Message ID:
b8535110-4d1d-a61e-16c0-af9712207b26@gmail.com
Hi,

I'm trying to install perl6 on a commercial server. The OS is Debian
Stretch. The hosting service does not allow root access, so everything
must be done with user permission. I do not have access to apt. Snap
package cannot be installed.

My intention is also to set up CRO and develop a web site there.

I have uploaded rakudo-star, and run the Configure.pl routine
successfully. However, during the make phase, during the long PARSE
stage, I get a persistent error: MOAR panicĀ  unable to allocate xxx bytes.

On each occasion I have tried this, I get a different value of xxx, from
15,000 to 48bytes. The assumption is that memory depends on other
users/processes on the server.

The support staff is not being helpful (they claim userspace is 32-bit,
but uname indicates a 64-bit OS is being used, so I don't understand
their 32-bit concern).

Some questions:

a) Is there a rakudo package for debian Stretch I can install? (I'm just
asking, but I doubt it).

b) Is there a way to reduce the memory demands of MOAR during the Parse
phase?

c) Any other suggestions?

Richard