develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from September 2018

extending built-in classes

From:
Joseph Brenner
Date:
September 22, 2018 18:32
Subject:
extending built-in classes
Message ID:
CAFfgvXXQ-RKP-hGWK65YkovfMRvJJVx5AtnsYNHkskP_tkjvrQ@mail.gmail.com
I was just wondering if there's any way to extend an existing
class in perl 6.  I'd like to be able to do things like drop
a custom debugging method in Any that would then be available
on everything.

Note: I'm talking about adding something to an existing class
("monkeypatching") as opposed to subclassing.  In perl 5 land you
can just say "package Whatever;" again and re-open an existing
package.  With perl 6 saying "class Whatever" a second time would
be a "Redeclaration" error.