develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from September 2018

Re: .kv ?

From:
ToddAndMargo
Date:
Re: .kv ?
Message ID:
54f0e287-c075-6518-b99d-14a07672bd59@zoho.com
On 09/14/2018 03:10 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 5:56 PM ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo@zoho.com
> <mailto:ToddAndMargo@zoho.com>> wrote:
>
>            'To opt into a non-nullable version of a type add the :D
>            "smiley" to it."
>
>     This is confusing.  And I don't think correct, but I could be wrong.
>     Curt stated it a lot better:
>
>             If I say "my Int $x",
>             $x is now an Int, but an undefined Int.
>
>             If I say "my Int $x = 42",
>             $x is an Int, but set to a defined value, 42.
>
>     ":D" means that the variable is "defined".  "non-nullable" is
>     a confusing way to state it.
>

> Not exactly. "Defined" is a "now" thing; "non-nullable", via type
> smileys, is an "always" thing. It is defined now, and it can never be
> undefined.
>
>     To me ":D" means that the variable has something assigned to
>     and ":U" means that the variable has yet to have anything
>     assigned to it.
>
>     If I were to rewrite this, I'd reverse D and U as that
>     is the way they evolve.  All variables start out as :U.
>

> This is the same misunderstanding: what is now, is not guaranteed to be
> so in the future. :U and :D provide such guarantees. Merely being
> defined or undefined right now says nothing about the future.

Hi Brandon,

Thank you!

My use for the "smileys" is in methods definitions.  It tells me
that the variable has to have a value or a null.

For instance:
     multi method kv(Any:U:  -->List)
     multi method kv(Any:D:  -->List)

is their way of saying I can use either.

Question,  why don't they just say?
     method kv(Any:  -->List)

And "List" is really vague, as in what kind of list?