develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from August 2018

Perl6 POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1

From:
Mark Devine
Date:
August 14, 2018 20:55
Subject:
Perl6 POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1
Message ID:
BN6PR02MB274044F6BD9762490494B8E6A0380@BN6PR02MB2740.namprd02.prod.outlook.com
Perl6 Users,

The POSIX module in the ecosystem (https://github.com/cspencer/perl6-posix) implements a few commonly used subs from POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1 in a single file, which I found useful.  I wanted to use more of these so I coded a few simple subroutines with NativeCall for my own use.  The more I look at it, I will likely want to use a lot more of these functions/headers in Perl6 over the long term.

Perl5 had a few of these subroutines included with the core distribution, as well as a utility to extract header info.  Perl6 doesn't include POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1 in the core distro that I could see.

I am not a developer, otherwise I'd author Perl6 POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1 modules for the ecosystem.  getaddrinfo/freeaddrinfo (https://docs.perl6.org/language/nativecall#Short_tutorial_on_calling_a_C_function) clearly demonstrated to me that I was out of my depth, but some Perl6 developers seem to be fluent with these NativeCall constructs without breaking a sweat.

Are there any initiatives to include POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1 in Perl6, hopefully holistically?  Maybe with an extensible hierarchical file structure (I.e. POSIX::getaddrinfo, POSIX::getnameinfo, etc.)?  Are there other Perl6 users who see a need for more POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1 functions (http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/idx/functions.html)?

Thanks,

Mark