develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from June 2018

Re: using run

From:
Todd Chester
Date:
Re: using run
Message ID:
6d296572-a676-9cef-0dd9-630339b1ffde@zoho.com

On 06/20/2018 08:58 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> A pipe is for communication with a process. "Piped to a file" means
> what? What's the process you're communicating with?
>
> More to the point, "run" is intended to be lower level, specifically so
> you can directly control things. Things like redirection and shell
> pipelines are higher level.

Hi Brandon,

Make sure the documentation makes it clear that "run" is
not running a shell and that Pipes ("|"), redirects
("2>&1") and such are all shell dependent.

-T

p.s. I almost never make a shell system call anymore.
I prefer "run" and then manipulate the data myself the
way I want to, not some awkward shell helper command.