develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from June 2018

Re: EVAL?

From:
The Sidhekin
Date:
Re: EVAL?
Message ID:
CAHAeAG6Q7vm6KZ8NENKJ2_6TCrLXKPdR15KrR19hAia61ppxXA@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
wrote:

> You can never be certain in *any* case. Check if you're not sure what it
> means. Because sometimes languages use some term in a way you don't expect,
> whether because they drew it from some specific discipline (Haskell uses a
> lot of terminilogy from abstract mathematics, for example) or for some
> reason (I've hit a few cases where the language author didn't know the
> actual meaning of some term and used it "oddly" as a result).
>
> https://docs.perl6.org/language/glossary
>
> Which doesn't have "pragma" in it, probably because it's not specific to
> Perl. It's been around, and used in this sense, since at least the 1960s
> and probably earlier.

  ... but does have "whitespace" and "variable" in it, neither of which is
specific to Perl. :-P

  Isn't the lack of "pragma" there an omission to be corrected?

  Particularly if the term is required for the reading of error messages?

Eirik