develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from June 2018

Re: EVAL?

From:
ToddAndMargo
Date:
Re: EVAL?
Message ID:
53c9a854-aa73-83c6-6096-82a2a489d972@zoho.com

On 06/14/2018 05:21 AM, The Sidhekin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:01 AM, Todd Chester <ToddAndMargo@zoho.com =
>
>    That depends on your use case.  EVAL/eval is powerful enough it could
> be pretty much anything, so bird's-eye view here:
>
>    If $RunSpecific is sufficiently non-generic (i.e. couldn't be any
> code whatsoever), an approach with dispatch tables or similar (dynamic
> method lookup, giant switch ...) might be an alternative.  Optionally
> parsing the code (Perl subset, DSL?) yourself.
>
>    For use with any code whatsoever though, you need that kind of power,
> and as Brandon wrote: You get to do your own data sanitization, and you
> tell Perl 6 you did so with "use MONKEY-SEE-NO-EVAL;".
>

> Eirik

Hi Eirik,

The program goes out and checks for new updates to programs I carry
with me to support my customers.  To debug a sub individually,
I place the sub's name on the command line.  This way I don't
have to run them all at once to debug one sub.  $RunSpecific
is the name of a particular sub.  (If I misspell the sub name, I
get ignored.)

This is especially useful when adding a new program to check or
when someone changes their web page.

Chuckle: I catch a lot of boo-boos when they change their
web pages.

On one program, I can't get the vendor to place the program's
revision on the web.  But he does place a check sum to for
the download.  So, I download the checksum and compare it to
the previous checksum, if they don't match, I download the
actual program.  Then do an unzip list and find the revision
from one of the files inside the zip.  With the revision,
I name the zip file properly.  And yes, I have caught boo-boos
in his zip file before.