develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from June 2018

Re: stackoverflow vs the world (and perl6-users)

From:
Brad Gilbert
Date:
Re: stackoverflow vs the world (and perl6-users)
Message ID:
CAD2L-T1CjG6jUzuiFU_-L0XJpQUDew21xdcRy89v74bULCX=+A@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> wrote:
> I replied to this one in private, but I want to make a point in public as
> well.
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The barrier is not with Stack Overflow. (←What I obviously meant)
>> The barrier is within you.
>

> There's an insidious assumption hidden in here: that "the barrier is within
> you" means it's a modifiable barrier. Or, for that matter, it should be.
>
> For some of us, it's not. I was not overstating earlier when I made a
> reference to the Nobel Prize.
> And there are also those for whom it's not as modifiable as this attitude
> assumes, or for whom modifying it is not the best of ideas.
>
> Think about this one a bit next time you want to tell someone it's "all in
> their head". Because it might just be literally true.

I absolutely knew it was literally true.

I then proceeded to point out the same in my own life.

I did not intend to imply that it was easy to deal with.

(Note for others reading this there have been messages off list about this)