develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from March 2018

Re: Debating on writing Editline bindings

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
March 30, 2018 10:19
Re: Debating on writing Editline bindings
Message ID:
324071C2-7696-48D8-BC62-CFAD90D0CD44@dijkmat.nl
> On 30 Mar 2018, at 12:07, Ben Davies <kaiepi@outlook.com> wrote:
> At the moment, bindings for Readline and Linenoise are available, which
> are mainly used for making the REPL more convenient to use. Editline is
> a BSD-licensed alternative to the two that's part of the userland by
> default on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. Having bindings for Editline
> would be more convenient for BSD users, since they don't have to install
> any additional libraries to use the REPL more comfortably. Would this be
> worthwhile writing? It fills a pretty narrow niche for users and I'm not
> sure how useful it would be to have.

To me, it seems like a worthwhile thing to have.  But I have no idea how much effort this would be, so I can’t really judge how large and how good an investment it would be.

But if it’s an itch you feel you need to scratch… Please do!

Liz