develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from October 2017

Perl 6: Protecting Intellectual Property for Commercial Code

From:
Mark Devine
Date:
October 22, 2017 23:10
Subject:
Perl 6: Protecting Intellectual Property for Commercial Code
Message ID:
BLUPR02MB53371B825191F671DFAC3BDA0410@BLUPR02MB533.namprd02.prod.outlook.com
Perl 6 Users,

[[ Bouncing off Re: who own my code? ]]

This is the first of several possible spin-off questions, but here goes…

Perl 6 has its public ecosystem, which will drive growth and adoption.  Then there’s the commercial side, which would also drive the language from another important angle.  I believe in a balance of public sharing and private enterprise.

I am interested in packaging some of my long-term Perl 6 projects/scripts/apps/frameworks into some kind of relocatable object form (binary) that cannot be easily altered or trivially reverse engineered.  Put another way, I sometimes would prefer not to sell source code to my customers, but rather some form of compiled package that can’t easily be diddled by a SysAdmin.  If I create code for a particular commercial domain over years, then I want to get compensated for it and not have it be diluted with copy-cats one week after I release it.  Certainly some of the generic libraries that I create in the future can be modularized for the Perl 6 ecosystem and I’ll push those eventually, but the really specialized domain-specific code that fills a commercial void & that I will commit years to maintaining, I’d like to offer a commercial license, key-protect, sell subscriptions, etc.

Again, I’m very interested in contributing to the ecosystem when possible.  I still need to grow past baby/teenager Perl 6, and I’ll get there soon.  But after creating something targeted only for customer purchase/subscription, what tools are available in the Perl 6 toolbox?  I saw something for the Java back-end (to .jar), but not much else.

Is there a Perl 6 roadmap that might mention compiling Perl 6 modules/scripts into something atomic, binary, & relocatable?  Or preferably the capability to compile only specific Perl 6 modules, requiring an existing Perl 6 on the target host?

Thanks,

Mark