develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from August 2017

Re: How do I do SSL/TLS with eMail::MIME ?

From:
Brandon Allbery
Date:
Re: How do I do SSL/TLS with eMail::MIME ?
Message ID:
CAKFCL4X1HBWeFvXRgO-K0W3kbGZc66y3JTWBaR2=T9f9oHL7dg@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:41 AM, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo@zoho.com>
wrote:

> $client = Net::SMTP.new(:server( $smtp ), :port( $port ), :ssl, :starttls,
> :debug( 1 ) )

I think you only want :starttls. :ssl tells it to expect a socket that
immediately negotiates SSL; the error suggests the mail server doesn't.
(Note that, because SSL is negotiated immediately, it must use different
ports; in general, a mail server that supports SSL uses port 465 instead of
25, because it can't do SSL and non-SSL on the same port.)

Also, SSL as such isn't used that much beyond HTTPS. Modern mail servers
are more likely to use negotiated encryption (STARTTLS) instead. So just
:starttls and not :ssl.

allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.net