develooper Front page | perl.perl6.users | Postings from December 2010

Re: Announce: Rakudo Star 2010.12 released

From:
Daniel Carrera
Date:
December 31, 2010 07:17
Re: Announce: Rakudo Star 2010.12 released
Message ID:
AANLkTinyqaMAN3ZvmJp0TxjDpkdM=9fBkESj4AQwz8z+@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Moritz Lenz <moritz@faui2k3.org> wrote:
> For C, see https://github.com/jnthn/zavolaj
> Fortran uses the same calling conventions, albeit with weird name
> mangling rules that depend on the compiler. So you can use Zavolaj for
> Fortran too, if you're ready to suffer.

Hmm... I don't like to suffer, but there are useful features in
Fortran 95 in the area of numerical computation, and Fortran 95 itself
is a very nice language for that kind of work. Btw, modern Fortran is
*nothing* like the F77 that your parents learned.

Anyway, I'm starting a thesis on computational astrophysics. It
crossed my mind that if one could make bindings from Perl 6 to basic
Fortran features like matrix arithmetic, I could use Perl 6 to
prototype my work instead of using MATLAB or PDL. I thought it would
be an interesting example of using Perl 6 for "real work".

But as you can imagine, I need to spend most of my time doing my
research. I can't afford a big battle to get Rakudo and Fortran 95
talking to each other.

Daniel.
--
No trees were destroyed in the generation of this email, but a large
number of electrons were severely inconvenienced.