develooper Front page | perl.perl6.stdlib | Postings from September 2000

RE: RFC 260 (v1) More modules

From:
Garrett Goebel
Date:
September 21, 2000 09:12
RE: RFC 260 (v1) More modules
Message ID:
71BEC0D4E1DED3118F7A009027B12028702F8B@EXCH_MISSION
From: Garrett Goebel [mailto:garrett@scriptpro.com]

> Hmm. Might want to be a bit more fine grained. How about the heretical
> option to strip pod and comments from the standard library?

So this would break any code which interacts with pod: Pod::Usage, perlman,
perlhelp, etc. Which I suppose just adds weight to the don't go there,
highly discouraged ultimatum. I'd previously been thinking of stripping pod,
comments, and documentation in the context of stripping symbols from an
object file.

What else besides forced verbose warnings (aka diagnostics) would be
impacted?

How badly non-functional would the resulting Perl distribution be?  Less
than 100% functional does not mean it wouldn't be functional. An "embed
perl" distribution might be willing to live with less than everthing.

Garrett