develooper Front page | perl.perl6.stdlib | Postings from September 2000

Re: RFC 260 (v1) More modules

From:
Casey R. Tweten
Date:
September 20, 2000 11:02
Re: RFC 260 (v1) More modules
Message ID:
Pine.OSF.4.21.0009201348480.30165-100000@home.kiski.net
Today around 1:36pm, Chaim Frenkel hammered out this masterpiece:

: >>>>> "TC" == Tom Christiansen <tchrist@chthon.perl.com> writes:
:
: TC> Wait.  I see now: you've asked us to endorse murdering children in
: TC> their sleep.  Same answer: I won't do it because it's evil and
: TC> wrong.  I am vehemently and vociferously opposed to software that
: TC> is installed *ANYWHERE* without documentation.  If there is no
: TC> documentation, there is no decent software, just pain-in-the-ass
: TC> crapware.
:
: So we shouldn't install Perl on a Palm since the documentation
: wouldn't fit?

I have thought about this a bit.  There are Palms with 2 - 8 megs.  Perl for the
Palm should be distributed in full.  Configure should ask them what they want,
the default would be to get perl, important modules that could be practical for
the Palm ( POD included ) and perl*.pod documentation.  Then this could be
synced to the Palm.

: What's the difference between physical incapability, or practical
: restrictions?
:
: Or perhaps, an embeded application that doesn't reveal the api
: must ship with the perl documentation?

Perhaps Configure will ask you this in a particular mode, but default should
always be to install them.

: You are being a bit fascist here.
:
: I want documentation as much as the next person. But the machines that
: I distribute the application on, have _NO_ direct human users. They
: are purely application servers. I don't want a minimum stripped down
: perl installation that will get my job done.

rm them.

--
print(join(' ', qw(Casey R. Tweten)));my $sig={mail=>'crt@kiski.net',site=>
'http://home.kiski.net/~crt'};print "\n",'.'x(length($sig->{site})+6),"\n";