develooper Front page | perl.perl6.stdlib | Postings from August 2000

Re: Define consistent and standard

From:
Michael Fowler
Date:
August 3, 2000 15:56
Re: Define consistent and standard
Message ID:
20000803145542.D2143@shoebox.net
On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 01:59:08PM -0500, Garrett Goebel wrote:
> What constitutes consistent API's and standard naming conventions?

I'm not sure what constitutes consistence in Perl 5, so it's difficult to
plop down an RFC saying "this is consistent, do this".  What modules
display a kind of consistency we want?  What modules seem to fit poorly with
the rest?

Personally, I think FindBin is a bit of a sore thumb.  Its name, the
capitalization of its variable names, and the interface (importing variables
from the use line) seems to stand out as not-quite-fitting with the rest of
the core modules.  I'm not quite sure what a fix would be.  I think perhaps
it should be moved to a Config.pm type of interface, with a single exported
hash.  This seems like overkill for the few variables it sets, so perhaps it
should be merged with some other useful variables, all wrapped up in a
single module.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net