develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from May 2000

Re: Better mousetrap ^W Makefile

From:
Ken Fox
Date:
May 5, 2000 18:20
Re: Better mousetrap ^W Makefile
Message ID:
200005060120.VAA19555@mailfw6.ford.com
Chip Salzenberg writes:
> You mean, 'building outside of the source dir'?  If so, three cheers.
> I'm in the habit of keeping sources in /u/src/foo/bar and building in
> /u/build/foo/bar with symlink /u/build/foo/bar/SRC -> /u/src/foo/bar.

I've found that lndir (from the X11 distribution) works very well.  When
I build something, I unpack the original sources into "foo-X.Y" and then
make a directory "OS-foo-X.Y" (where OS is SunOS, IRIX, etc.).  Remove
write permission on foo-X.Y, run "lndir ../foo-X.Y" and builds can
happen in OS-foo-X.Y without any chance of screwing up the originals.
The nice part of this approach is that it doesn't require any support
from the build tools at all.

- Ken

--
Ken Fox, kfox@ford.com, (313)59-44794
Ford Motor Company, Powertrain           | "Is this some sort of trick