develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: Topaz 0.11 is out .. and in CVS (Finally!)

From:
John Tobey
Date:
April 29, 2000 22:38
Re: Topaz 0.11 is out .. and in CVS (Finally!)
Message ID:
m12lmVs-000FOoC@feynman.localnet
Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> According to John Tobey:
> >      // Hash-specific:
> > -    virtual void clear_hash();
> > -    virtual void set_hash_capacity(size_t n);
> > +    virtual void hash_clear();
> > +    virtual void hash_set_capacity(size_t n);
> >      virtual void hash_assign_simple(size_t n, Scalar_p *vec);
>
> I've pondered that.  I'm trying to maintain some degree of 'verb_noun'
> naming when appropriate.  But visual consistency may be more valuable.

It is a philosophical question, not just linguistic or aesthetic.
Actually, your way is probably better, assuming the methods can
theoretically all work on any Aggr.  "clear_hash" means "clear as a
hash" and not "I'd better be a hash so clear me".

--
John Tobey, late nite hacker <jtobey@john-edwin-tobey.org>