develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Topaz 0.11 is out .. and in CVS (Finally!)

From:
Chip Salzenberg
Date:
April 29, 2000 00:04
Subject:
Topaz 0.11 is out .. and in CVS (Finally!)
Message ID:
20000429000455.D584@perlsupport.com
Bowing to popular demand.  The release notes are below.  For
instructions on using SourceForge's CVS servers for Topaz, see:

  <URL:https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=1020>

Share & Enjoy!

PS: We could use a little more sophisticated Makefile system....

Changes in topaz 0.11:

	* Organize code into subdirectories:
		mem	Memory management etc.
		val	Value and derivations
		op	Opcodes etc.
		int	Interpreter etc.
		tools	scripts

	* Rename all FooPtr -> Foo_p, ConstFooPtr -> const_Foo_p.
	* Create Counted_p_ref<> by analogy with auto_ptr_ref<>, designed
	  for return-by-value.  Its contained pointer is always stolen.
	  The intent is to reduce ref thrashing.
	* Likewise Buffer_ref vs. Buffer.

	* New stuff in mem:
		HashMisc:  misc support for hash functions
		HashTable: low-level hash table support
		HashSet:   generic container based on HashTable<>

	* Defined/undefined isn't really a universal concept, so it's no
	  longer part of the Value interface.

	* Rationalize array/hash interface.  All methods must be specific
	  to arrays or hashes; otherwise, we can't tell if a reference is
	  of appropriate type or not.
	* Hashes no longer contain default iterators.  This change will
	  will require a bit of language support, but Larry sez it'll
	  probably work, and that's good enough for me.

	* FatHash is now implemented with our own HashSet<> template
	  instead of the more general (and higher-overhead) map<>.

	* New class: Stash, a specialized container of Globs that acts
	  like a Hash when it has to.  (Also: GlobProxyScalar.)

	* Interpreter's methods are now mostly friends, for convenience.

	* Code class is now general for all functions, user-defined or
	  not.  (Otherwise, you can't redefine a user sub with an XSUB or
	  vice versa.)  All user-sub-specific intelligence is in
	  UserCodeBody, derived from the new abstract base Code::Body.

Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>