develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: Torvalds on POSIX threads

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
April 10, 2000 14:26
Re: Torvalds on POSIX threads
Message ID:
4.3.0.20000410172103.01d4fa80@24.8.96.48
At 05:06 PM 4/10/00 -0400, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
>   o the POSIX standard is technically stupid. It's much better to use a
>     cleaner fundamental threading model and build on top of that.

It's a technical compromise and isn't perfect. This is supposed to be a
surprise? There's not a cross-platform standard out there that doesn't suck
in one form or fashion. The Linux implementation does exacerbate the
problems, though it wouldn't surprise me if that was intentional.

It'd be nice if they took the damn POSIX Pthreads label off the things--if
they aren't abiding by the standard they shouldn't use the name.

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk