develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: Torvalds on POSIX threads

From:
Chip Salzenberg
Date:
April 10, 2000 14:25
Re: Torvalds on POSIX threads
Message ID:
20000410142545.I646@perlsupport.com
According to Joshua Pritikin:
>   o the POSIX standard is technically stupid. It's much better to use a
>     cleaner fundamental threading model and build on top of that.
>   o things like the above are just so much better and more easily done in
>     user space anyway.

I agree.  POSIX threads' signal-handling model is really awkward, if I
understand it correctly.  I've never spent a lot of time on it, but
wearing my implementor hat, just the very idea of having a separate
signal mask for each thread gives me the screaming heebie jeebies.

I suspect that Topaz's threading will be built on our own
abstractions, possibly borrowed from the Mozilla code (as Linus
himself suggested).  But that's a ways down the pike.
--
Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>