develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: CVS: Ugh

From:
John van V.
Date:
April 7, 2000 07:09
Re: CVS: Ugh
Message ID:
20000407140952.17125.qmail@web802.mail.yahoo.com

> > I really agree with a position of using only free software..
>
> I have to agree.  It may not be reasonable to enforce an all-free
> policy ... YET....
>
>..but hey, it's making me think that we
> really need a good open source feature-a-like of ClearCase

Gimp, as an example, may be the best thing that ever happened, spawing no less
than 'n' psychedelic desktops.  But I got a real shock yesterday when the text
I got was telling me that I can't use it to draw or paint.  Point being, dont
limit yourselves, but then thats perl6's modular philosophy :)

A perl6 specific CVS, with all the expansion hooks for the
make/test/install/distro/config/update/educate features would go a long way to
achieve a lot of admin and development goals.

To me, the only un-fun part of this kind of a project would be pulling CVS
apart to create the XS's.  The re-construction phase, however, would be cake.

=====
John van Vlaanderen