develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: CVS: Ugh

From:
Russ Allbery
Date:
April 6, 2000 14:39
Re: CVS: Ugh
Message ID:
ylya6qzz76.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
Joshua N Pritikin <joshua.pritikin@db.com> writes:

> I actually begged the perforce people to talk to the people at
> SourceForge.  They seemed to have the impression that SourceForge wasn't
> willing to work with non-open source software.  But why can't the
> developers decide?

As I understand it, it would violate one of the core points behind
SourceForge.  Remember, VA Linux is a free software company; that's the
market position that they're taking, and they're trying to convince the
conventional world that it's a viable market position to take.  One of the
things that they get in return for donating the impressive resources of
SourceForge to the community is publicity for their approach.

I really agree with a position of using only free software; I think it's a
good standard to try to keep.  It proves something to the rest of the
world, which is in some ways more important than the minor annoyances of
using one VC system over another.  Maybe ten or twenty years down the
road, it won't be necessary to prove this point any more because people
will understand that free software can be good software and it won't hurt
the message to just use whatever's the most convenient for the job, but I
don't think we're there yet.

Unfortunately.