develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

RE: JVM implementation

From:
Dickerson, Monty W.
Date:
April 6, 2000 08:07
RE: JVM implementation
Message ID:
F99F3F7C7049D211BC700008C7B1F09003DBB60F@texas.econophone.com
JPL is not a suitable replacement for Jpython;
Perhaps Bradley Kuhn will have something nice,
someday.

But in posting here I was inquiring to see if
there was interest or vision among perl6 peoples
in making a JVM implementation of perl6.

I've been hacking in perl5 for some years now,
but I'm becoming more of a Servlet guy
because I like the discipline Java imposes, and I
like the full support of modern computer science/
software construction methodology.

I just read a very nifty editorial in the Java
Developers Journal on the MERIT of glue/scripting
languages tho:  Java, although superior for large
programs, and software construction by teams composed
of dissimilar programmers; is NOT a glue language -
(being staticly typed & not interpreted).

Java needs glue; perl-xml can be that glue; else
perl can/will lose ground for the next one to five
years, probably losing its place as the most popular
CGI programming language.

md