develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: CVS: Ugh

From:
John Porter
Date:
April 5, 2000 11:42
Re: CVS: Ugh
Message ID:
20000405144205.C10449@min.net
Michael G Schwern wrote:
> Just to throw my $0.02 of gasoline on the fire... there are two things
> which keep me on CVS (well, maybe three).
>
>     1)  Its free.
>     2)  Its text.
>
> Lack of support for symlinks, hairy method of
> moving files, almost impossible to remove or move a directory (without
> doing it in the root itself),
>
> However, I do applaud CVS's staunch decision to be a version control
> system and ONLY a version control system.  There's too many
> version/build/config/manage/test/distribute bloated all-in-wonders out
> there already.  Its nice to see a project which hasn't succumbed to
> the urge to do everything.

All points on which CVS meaningfully differs from ClearCase.
I wouldn't even mention it, except that mv'ing in CVS seems to be
such a big deal: mv'ing a file in ClearCase is mindblowingly easy;
it does the rmelem and mkelem automatically (of course, the source
and destination dirs have to be checked out).

The most brilliant thing about ClearCase is the mvfs -- multi-versioning
file system.  It's so powerful and so transparent, I'm always tempted
to keep *everything* -- down to my mboxes and .kshrcs -- in it.
(But I don't...)

--
John Porter