develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: CVS: Ugh

From:
Russ Allbery
Date:
April 4, 2000 21:44
Re: CVS: Ugh
Message ID:
ylln2tdune.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
Chip Salzenberg <chip@valinux.com> writes:

> CVS has an analogous dependency on filename indicating identity.  More
> advanced systems like ClearCase track file identity separately from
> filename, allowing easy and natural support for renaming files.

Yes, but there's a reason for this.  This is because CVS is nothing more
or less than a system to help manage parallel RCS files, and RCS is a
per-file revision control system.  CVS has honestly gone about as far as
it can and still maintain that position, and I'm one of the people who
thinks that it's just about perfect for a lot of what I do.  Not the least
because I have tons of old RCS revision histories that are absolutely
trivial to import into CVS because of it.  :)

Renaming files is a significant wart; the ease, standardization, and
simple structure of the repository more than makes up for it IMO.