develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from November 1999

ExOS

From:
John van V.
Date:
November 15, 1999 09:12
Subject:
ExOS
Message ID:
19991115171159.8596.rocketmail@web804.mail.yahoo.com

Hello all,

One of the early emails was about ExOS, it looks to me like the next linux,
and, honestly, the days when Linus was still undergrad were some of my best.

ExOS basically gives "untrusted software control over resourse management where
agressively specialized applications" creating much greater performance.  Their
cheetah webserver on ExOS runs 6X faster than NCSA on BSD.

Servers are its strong suit and it has a lightening fast file sys.

Seeing topaz grow makes me wonder if the present object modularity would allow
it to be "agressively-specialized" for ExOS.  Plus, in the devopt stages, perl
would be a captive audience, Configure would come later.  Not to mention the
possibility of a perl boot (and s/w loading) system :)

Another major benefit of ExOS is that it is a LibOS, in other words, you dont
compile-mv-reboot-test, you compile-link-run, saving a lot of time.  IMHO,
thats a big deal.

By way of introduction:
I am a ny.pm'er w/ about 3 yrs of fairly unsophisticated perl coding under my
belt and 10 of sysadmin.  Perl is my only language, unless you consider
shell...

I was stumbling around the yapc w/o any sleep and had a really really good time
but sadly I got fired from my excessively well paying perl job on my return to
ny.

I have gotten a sort of born-again-bug but wrt to perl and have actually been
offered a sig @ the NYSIA.  The NY S/W Industry Assc is an offical board and
will give us mongers the option of ramming perl down the government's throat if
we so choose.  Think about it, goverment is about filling dataservers and
extracting reports on a shoe string.  And perl is, of course, destiny.

=====
John van Vlaanderen