develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: Linux: the next Evil Empire? ;)

From:
John Porter
Date:
October 21, 1999 07:37
Re: Linux: the next Evil Empire? ;)
Message ID:
19991021103712.B13725@min.net
Ken Fox wrote:
> John Porter writes:
> > Ken Fox wrote:
> > > This is one of the reasons Linux developers oppose C++ -- it's hard
> > > to "get a feel" for the way code will run by just looking at it.
> >
> > s/Linux developers/all systems programmers/.
>
> Well, that's not a true statement -- I happen to know a system programmer
> who advocates C++. ;)

Well, o.k., I should have said "systems programmers in general".

> > I sure would like to know how this meme got started,
> > that Linux developers are the first and only systems
> > programmers.
>
> I never said that and certainly I don't believe it.

(Not to make too big a deal of it... but) I inferred from your
statement a lack of awareness of the existence -- and, dare
I say, predominance -- of non-Linux systems programmers.
More likely, I suppose, is that you didn't want to
*over*-generalize, for which I credit you.

> Or maybe you just have a healthy
> skepticism towards the popular? ;)

Yes, there's that.  :-)

cheers, hand,