develooper Front page | perl.perl6.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: Topaz and Regular Expressions

From:
Ed Peschko
Date:
October 19, 1999 16:20
Re: Topaz and Regular Expressions
Message ID:
199910192316.SAA16181@foghorn.csgsystems.com
>I expect very few problems with the regex engine.  It's a separate
>language unto itself.  Its connections with Perl's guts are limited to
>a few specific points, as I recall: (1) parameter calculations, (2)
>returned values, and (3) callouts via (?{}).  No biggie.

Ok, I guess that leads into my next questions:

1) is the regular expression engine itself going to get a rewrite/revise?
2)how 'clean' is the API going to be? I mean right now with wPerl, you can
embed perl in C++ but it comes at the expense of embedding an interpreter.
Wheras some of us would like to say:

#include <Scalar.h>

main()
{
	Scalar a = new Scalar();
	a+= "HELLO HERE";

	while (a.regmatch("H(.*?)(?=H|$)", "sg"))
	{
		cout << "MATCHED ON " << a.dollar(1) << "\n";
	}
}

without paying the interpreter overhead. Will this be available
'out of the box' or will a API layer be needed?

Ed