develooper Front page | perl.perl6.meta | Postings from August 2001

Re: Perl 6 modules plan

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
August 11, 2001 12:10
Re: Perl 6 modules plan
Message ID:
20010811141045.D23329@chaos.wustl.edu
On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 02:07:15PM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> > =item Document namespace guidelines
> >
> > This is a good opportunity to iron out some namespace wrinkles.  First
> > step is to figure out what's already there on CPAN and can be documented
> > as current "best practice" (eg. silly modules go in Acme::*, network
> > protocols in Net::*).
>
> Sys:: should be declared redundant and silly.  Sys::Syslog simply
> hurts my teeth.

Text:: is another silliness, though from for slightly different
reasons.  The problem with Text:: is that it awfully vague, and thusly
carries almost no information.  Is Text:: about

	- string processing
	- text formatting
	- natural language processing
	- natural script (Unicode, Cyrillic, Korean, ...) processing

is left completely vague.  For the #3 we later invented Lingua::
which helped some.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen