develooper Front page | perl.perl6.meta | Postings from October 2000

Re: Transcription of Larry's talk

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
October 18, 2000 23:19
Re: Transcription of Larry's talk
Message ID:
5.0.0.25.0.20001019021635.02616900@24.8.96.48
At 01:07 AM 10/19/00 -0500, J. David Blackstone wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:32:32AM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
> >> Rename the local operator?  Yeah, I think we ought to do that.  It
> >> confuses people when we call it local().  The problem is, of course,
> >> that this is not a perfect solution--they haven't come up with the
> >> right name here: savetmp, tmpsave, scratchpad, etc.
> >
> > You're learning Japanese, right? It's gotta be "toriaezu".[1] :)
> >
> > [1] 'For the time being', roughly speaking.
>
>Do we need to add a book on Japanese to the reading list?  Seems like
>I'm the only one here who doesn't speak it.

You're not the only one. (Though it is on my todo list... :)

>[And now they're keeping the newbies locked out by doing all
>development work in Japanese.]

Nah. Only those newbies that don't speak Japanese. If we wanted to keep the
newbies out we'd write perl 6 in INTERCAL. :-P

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk