develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2018

Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?

From:
yary
Date:
February 20, 2018 16:06
Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?
Message ID:
CAG2CFAaM5k_5SjVas8dgr=Rz+UxyguEg1H4v2itx+qXny3pZNg@mail.gmail.com
A bit of a digression around marketing/evangelizing

> When I wanted to learn DataScience, courses using R and Python were
> readily available. Even though I had been using Perl for 20 years, I did
> not even know where to start in the Perl ecosystem!

I've wondered why PDL isn't more popular, more of a thing in the wide world
of science. https://metacpan.org/pod/PDL

And PDL was very much in mind during the early & mid design stages of
Perl6. There's a huge opportunity for Perl6 to be a great platform for data
science if it can add PDL's data-crunching performance & expressiveness to
its already wonderful concurrency models.

-y