develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2018

Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
February 9, 2018 22:34
Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?
Message ID:
ee3e5003-891d-fec3-3c74-5ee6d1be160d@darrenduncan.net
On 2018-02-09 12:55 PM, Eaglestone, Robert J wrote:
> I think a name change is too radical. /And yet/.
>
> I think Steve has a point, though I don’t know what to do about it.  The
> developers in my little corner of the world may not be up on the
> new-language-of-the-week, but even they see Perl as a has-been, write-only
> language, so when their brain matches /perl/i they automatically toss it in the
> bit bucket.  Some of them are too nice to say it outright.  Some aren’t.

Personally I think having the "6" as part of the name is the worst part of the
situation.  Its too confusing with a version number.

I think if we want to keep "Perl" in the name we should use "C" as a precedent.
Other related languages keeping "C" include "Objective C", "C#", "C++", and its
much more clear those are separate languages, even if C-alike.

So one way or another, "6" should be dropped from the name of the language
formally.  Then we either have "Foo Perl" or "Perl Foo" or "Foo".

After this is done, regular "Perl" can also be free to increment its first
version number for major releases (albeit skipping 6 to avoid confusion) just as
Postgres and many other projects do these days, as staying at 5.x forever is weird.

-- Darren Duncan