develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2018

Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
February 8, 2018 22:18
Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?
Message ID:
e0ee74a2-e570-12b2-c994-eb05fb25503e@darrenduncan.net
My personal favorite resolution is to officially name the language Rakudo, full
stop.

The implementation that was/is using the name would be renamed to something else
so it isn't the same as the language.

Then we say "Rakudo" is a sibling language of "Perl", full stop.

Then "Perl 6" becomes a deprecated alias for Rakudo, used informally rather than
formally from now on, and officially considered a historical footnote rather
than anything still cited in official documentation or marketing.

The unqualified name "Perl" continues to refer to the original lineage
(currently at version 5.x) such as what 99% of the world means when they refer
to it.

Remember, we can still say "Rakudo is a sibling of Perl" for all the reasons we
currently do without actually calling it any kind of "Perl" as an individual; we
don't actually lose the family thing.

For documentation/marketing materials and to help with continuity, we can
typically reference "the Rakudo language, a sibling of Perl", where the latter
part is then more of a description.

This is what I really think should and that I would like to happen.

-- Darren Duncan