develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2018

Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?

From:
Aaron Sherman
Date:
February 8, 2018 20:15
Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?
Message ID:
CAN=dS7Ren37KRxffHu-37Z_-JRBepU-yG7QwVAuV5YSQrwzFbA@mail.gmail.com
I think this is a fine place, personally. Past discussions have included
these high points as I recall them:

   1. Perl is definitely the family name
   2. Rakudo started out as the name of an implementation, but started to
   wander into being the name of the specific leaf in the family tree
   3. Problem is that that leaves us uncertain of the status of
   non-Rakudo-the-implementation implementations. Are they now Rakudo too?
   That's confusing at best.

IMHO, 6 has always been the personal name, but it could be changed to
something that's "sixish" without being an explicit number. Normally, I'd
recommend Latin, but Perl Sex is probably not where anyone wants to go...
Roku is Japanese, but also the name of a popular device, and thus
confusing...

--
Aaron Sherman, M.:
P: 617-440-4332 // E: ajs@ajs.com