develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from April 2006

Re: replacement of $

From:
Darren Duncan
Date:
April 1, 2006 15:42
Re: replacement of $
Message ID:
p06230900c054bf1900b3@[192.168.1.101]
At 15:04 -0800 1/4/06, Larry Wall wrote:
>Recently I had time to think about the $ symbol we use in Perl.
>
>I think Perl has been using the USD symbol for too long, and I'm now sure
>that it's time to replace it. After some research I came to the conclusion
>that the best fit is the euro symbol (¤).
>
>So, spread the word, Perl 6 will require you to replace all the $ in your
>scripts with ¤. That's just a regex after all...

But $ isn't specifically a USD symbol.  Its used
by Canada and Australia too, if not more places.
Its multi-country like the Euro is.

Perhaps what we need is a more universal currency.  I suggest gold.

So every relevant symbol name could start with
'Au' instead of '$', and an advantage of this is
that it is still easy to type on any keyboard.

-- Darren Duncan